Sunday, March 23, 2014

The Good Life

“The simplest acts of kindness are by far more powerful 
than a thousand heads bowing in prayer.” 
~Mahatma Gandhi

After my trip to the market, I attended a small celebration for the 3rd birthday of Grace, the youngest daughter of my Togo “mom,” Chantal. I always enjoy time spent at her home with her family. They have really become my family. They are always there for me in every way. I’m going to miss them so much when I leave. 

the birthday girl
At the party the kids were hanging out and playing with balloons. Their favorite game is to hit the balloon in the air and try to never let it touch the ground. So simple, but so much fun. Later on, we ate rice with a delicious, spicy chicken, tomato, and onion sauce. Bea and Chantal are incredibly good cooks! I would be lucky to learn just a fraction of their wonderful cooking skills, but I think I will probably never be as good as they are.

When lunch was over, I helped Chantal give out boxes of presents to kids who live in our neighborhood. Chantal is amazing, not just because she is an awesome mom, friend, and entrepreneur, but she is a deep-down, wonderful human being. She helps people all around her. In November she applied to an American organization that sends shoe boxes of gifts and candy to kids in developing countries. Over the last few weeks, Chantal finally received the boxes and she distributed them to 45 kids in the area. 
Chantal also gives back in other ways. 10 percent of all that she makes from her batik business she saves, using it to pay the school fees for 30+ young students and apprentices in the Kpalime area. I love knowing that whenever I buy something at her shop, I am not only helping her and her family, but I am making a contribution to the community as well. Chantal lives the kind of life that many "religious" people only preach about. She is such an inspirational person. I am happy to call her my friend. 

1 comment:

  1. Love those birthday party pics. Also I am so very impressed with Chantal. So amazing that she finds time, energy and the means to give to others. We could all do so much more than we do.

    ReplyDelete