Saturday, March 22, 2014

Market Day


"There is nothing more beautiful than 
living a simple life in this complex universe!"
                                                           ~Mehmet Murat ildan

Walking down into the market
Today is Saturday, one of two big market days in Kpalime. The Kpalime market is huge and always happening every day, but on Tuesdays and Saturdays it gets crazy busy. People come in from nearby towns and swarm the place. I try to avoid going on these days, especially on Saturday. However, I woke up and realized I really didn’t have much in my house, so I decided to bite the bullet and go to the market early, hoping to avoid the crowds. 

Before heading into the market, I stopped at my favorite “white people” store, Galaxy. This shop isn’t run by white people; it’s actually owned and run by a very cute, old couple from India. I call it a “white people” store because it has things that foreigners love, like extra virgin olive oil and lemon dish soap. I love this store and haven’t been back since my time away, so it was great to catch up with them and hear how they are doing.

Then it was on to the market. Today I bought two pieces of pagne, which I don’t do a lot, but I had a moment when I saw the fabric and I knew that if I didn’t stop and buy it I would regret it the rest of the weekend. It is a pretty pink, purple, white and navy blue pattern and cost 6USD for 2 yards. I’m probably going to get a top made with it. I also bought 2 yards of a blue pattern for 4USD that I want to have made into a long, tunic-style dress. 

Next stop was a visit to my go-to vegetable and fruit ladies, whom I love. They are awesome. Today I bought cucumbers, pineapples and bananas from them. I really hate bananas that are very ripe. Call me crazy, but I like mine green. So when I get home I immediately put them in a Ziploc in my freezer. Then I hit up my go-to apple lady, but instead of buying apples, I bought a small jar of peanut butter and a bag of popcorn kernels. 

That sums up my day at the market. Here is a detailed list of the prices. When I was shopping, I kept thinking that I was spending a lot on this grocery trip, but when I see the price in USD, it doesn’t seem like much anymore. 

Pack of straws= 1 USD

Extra virgin olive oil= 11USD

Lemon liquid soap= 1.50USD

3 pineapples= 1USD

2 cucumbers = 75cents

Bag of powdered milk= 2.75USD

Popcorn= 1USD

Peanut butter= 1USD

9 Bananas= 30cents



No comments:

Post a Comment