Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Oh Happy Day!


This celebration here tells me that this work is not hopeless. I thank you for this teaching with all my heart and lift my glass to human solidarity, to the ultimate victory of knowledge, peace, goodwill and understanding.  
 -Albert Szent-Gyorgyi


Yesterday was exciting! We had a very special 
visit from my Country Director, Lauren Mamane and Acting Peace Corps Director, Carrie Hessler-Radelet. This was Carrie’s first time to Togo, and she will be here for a few days before traveling to Benin. We began the day with a welcoming ceremony at my school. The event featured Bobobo dancing, English Club sketches, and the American and Togolese national anthems. There were several small speeches from my school director, local education inspector, Carrie, myself, and a friend of mine who is an education volunteer in a nearby town. It was so cool to have the opportunity to show both directors around my school. They got to see our classrooms and the room that will soon be transformed into a library.
After the school tour, we went out for lunch to a nice restaurant in Kpalime. We all got to talk about our Peace Corps experiences; it was such fun to tell stories together. Peace Corps is really like family to me. It’s wonderful how even though we all served in different countries at different times, we still relate to each others’ experiences. We know the special job we have had as PVCs, and how unique it is from any other type of work abroad. Sitting at the table, sharing and listening to our stories, I was reminded that being a Peace Corps Volunteer makes me not only part of the community of volunteers who are serving with me here in Togo, but it also will give me a lifetime membership in the nation-wide community of RPCVs. 
We finished off the directors’ visit with an outing to see my Togo “mom”, Chantal, the owner of Aklala Batik. There was time for everyone to batik our own piece of fabric and shop in Chantal’s boutique, which is always a dangerous thing for volunteers! I could spend my whole monthly living allowance there, if I’m not careful.


When our visitors left, there was time for a long chat with my two closest volunteer neighbors, which was the BEST way to end the day. As a volunteer in a big city, I often feel lonely, without ever actually being alone. It was really great to have this time to catch up with my friends. Today was a perfect day. Experiences like these are what make me so happy I was able to return to Togo and complete my service.  




No comments:

Post a Comment