Saturday, March 8, 2014

Picking Up The Ball



"Never give up, for that is just the place and time
that the tide will turn.”    ~Harriet Beecher Stowe

Waving the flag in Kpalime - Go Cougs!

It feels so amazing that I have been back in Togo for one week already. My return trip seemed like it would never end, with canceled flights, and layovers in Atlanta, Brussels, and Casablanca before finally landing in Lome at 3am. As I stepped out of the plane, the familiar smell of Togo just hit me in the face, a combination of sweet spiciness mixed with dirt, sweat, and humidity. Thankfully, the Peace Corps let me stay in the medical unit for a couple of nights before I left for my site, giving me a chance to sleep and readjust to Togo time. 
 
The first thing I did when I got to Kpalime, after unloading my stuff, was to CLEAN MY HOUSE. Yikes. There was a layer of dust/dirt on every surface. Thank you, harmattan winds. After about 3 hours of cleaning, I walked over to the home of my school director and his family. We enjoyed fried plantains together while visiting, and I surprised his children with a few small toys and Tootsie Rolls, which they loved! 
Then I headed over to see Chantal's family. My sudden exit from Africa, without a chance for goodbyes, left many people, especially the children, not knowing what happened, or if they would ever see me again. As I got closer to the Donvide's home, little Grace spotted me and ran all the way down the road with a smile and outstretched arms saying “Emily! Emily!” That moment felt like a scene in a movie. The warm welcome I received was really incredible. I love these people.

Now I feel like I am playing catch-up, making up for time lost, back at school with my class, English Club, choosing students for summer camps, working on the new library, organizing our city-wide spelling bee, preparing for a visit from the Acting Director of the Peace Corps...and of course, most importantly, spending time with my neighbor kids! So my visit home is behind me and life in Togo is reality once again. I feel energized and excited to finish things up on a high note, and make the most of every remaining moment. I recently learned that our COS (Close of Service) date has been set for August 7th. Five more months.

It's time to sing and dance! 

No comments:

Post a Comment