Monday, April 28, 2014

Wonderful World




“Even before you understand them, your brain is drawn to maps.”
~Ken Jennings


This morning we finally finished the world map inside the library. Things were moving a little slow at first, because not many students were motivated about the drawing step of the process, and because we were going on Spring Break in a couple of days. I ended up doing a lot of the drawing myself, but when it came time to start painting, the group was very excited. They even came after school hours and on the weekend to work on the map.



I know the map isn’t absolutely perfect, but it’s better than nothing! This is the school's very first world map! I loved listening to my students discuss geography while they were painting. Comments like, “Togo is so small!” and “Is that really a part of the U.S.?” (referring to Alaska) stand out in my mind. 

Furniture was ordered last week and some  arrived yesterday. We also have already received one shipment of textbooks from Lome, and another should be arriving today. Things are finally coming together! I hope everything will be finished by the end of this week (fingers crossed). 

On a completely random note, I have watched West Side Story a lot lately and I can’t stop humming all the songs today. 
La la la la la America! 



1 comment:

  1. Hi Emily!
    I am a future PCV who lives in Seattle and I have been nominated to go to Togo next June! I have enjoyed reading your blog and I was wondering if I could ask you some questions about your experience? My email is adesroch1@gmail.com. Thank you! Have a great week!
    Aimee

    ReplyDelete