Saturday, April 19, 2014

Spring Fever

“Though we've not been here long, it seems like a lifetime. Africa has a way of imposing its own time scale, reducing our busy western lives to its own pace, its own stately rhythm. In Africa the concept of the eternal seems much more meaningful. It also allows you more time to take things in. Events become clearer and impressions sharper and memories more indelible.”  ~Michael Palin
                           

Today I went downtown to run some errands and shop. Since tomorrow is Easter, there are lots of people in town and this made the whole city even livelier than it usually is on a typical Saturday market day. 


While I was buying peanut butter from my go-to peanut butter lady, I noticed there was a finish line set up on the main road. I had forgotten that today was race day for an annual biking event that starts up in Atakpame and ends in Kpalime. As I was checking that out, I visited with my favorite artist and Rasta in Kpalime, Anani. I love his bright and beautiful paintings and have bought quite a few since I’ve been here. 

 
Next I went into the market, where I bought bananas, a cucumber, and avocados. Since it is almost Easter, my fruit lady was extra giving: She gave me two free avocados and some free bananas. I might not have any chocolate eggs or candy for Easter, but I have lots of avocados and bananas!


Being around all the food in the market made me realize that I hadn’t eaten yet today, so I went to my favorite fufu bar for lunch. The place is called Mama J’ai Faim, which translates to Mama I’m Hungry. Mama has lots of sauces available and I like that she doesn’t mind that I never order meat. I explained to her that I am a vegetarian and she is very generous, giving me onions and veggies in my broth and, surprisingly, she doesn’t charge me extra for it! So I get a mound of fufu with veggies and broth for 40cents. Not bad for one meal. Mama is also impressed that I like piment (the green peppers in the picture) and today I ate three of them. This is a SUPER, SUPER spicy pepper; even just one makes your mouth go numb. I know lots of Togolese who can’t handle piment, but I love spicy food. After finishing my meal, I walked home and cooled off with a nice cold shower. Happy Easter tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment