Friday, October 4, 2013

Happiness in the Heart


“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” 
~Abraham Lincoln


For this blog post I’ve decided to talk about the things that make me happy. Living on your own isn’t always easy, especially when you are in a foreign country halfway around the world from everything familiar. Some days you feel like there’s no one you can really to talk to, but for me this loneliness has taught me to appreciate the little joys in life. Having low expectations can be a blessing in disguise, because now I am able to find joy in very simple ways. Here are some things that make me happy:

• A good cup of real coffee  

• Packages or letters from friends and family back home 

• My little neighbors running up to give me a high five or fist-bump when I am heading into my compound

• People downtown recognizing me and calling me by my name

• A good book 

• Jogging to the waterfall early in the morning when no one else is there

• Looking at pictures of my ADORABLE new nephew, Kai. He’s the cutest baby I’ve ever seen in my life. Seriously, baby dolls should be modeled after his looks.

• Having no rain on the days I do laundry (I used to have the WORST luck with this)

• The Voice of America on Saturday mornings, when they play music that is currently popular in the U.S. I never recognize the songs now, but it makes me feel less out of touch. 

• When my students say “Miss Emily”

• Opera music (especially Puccini and Verdi)

• When it starts to rain AFTER I have finished my run in the morning

• The sound of the Fanmilk horn (Togo peeps will get that)

• Getting a good deal on pagne

• When I sort of understand what someone is saying in Ewe

• The movie, Pitch Perfect (“I’m doing horizontal running.”) 

On Peace Corps Togo Staff there is a woman named Blandine. She organizes all the training for volunteers and manages the training staff. Some of the volunteers have taken to calling her “Queen Blandine.” During my first few months in Togo, Blandine shared with us the motto that she frequently reminds volunteers of throughout their service in Togo: “Keep the happiness in the heart.” I think she is saying that you can’t rely on outside things to keep you happy. Peace Corps service is hard work, and staying happy on the inside helps get you through the hardships that come along.




No comments:

Post a Comment