Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Model Classes



“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.”
 – Nelson Mandela

Today the EGE volunteers started our model classes; yikes! This morning I was incredibly nervous for class, and last night I couldn’t stop thinking and imagining all the things that could possibly go wrong. I’m hoping that this is the normal feeling that all teachers have on their first day ever. The lesson ended up being okay. I don’t think it was a homerun by any means, but it wasn’t a total disaster. There were some disastrous moments, like when I was asking reading comprehension questions and not one student could respond to any of the eight questions I asked. There were also a few great moments, like when students came to the blackboard to write the right answers, and when two young boys performed a dialogue in front of the whole class.

My favorite thing that happened wasn’t something that happened in class, but something that occurred after. As I was leaving the room after my class for our five minute break, several students called out “I love Emily.” Haha I couldn’t help but show the biggest smile when I came back into the room and saw that a few students had written on the board “I love Emily.” After being so anxious earlier, this really calmed my nerves and got me excited about the next class.

Becoming a teacher, writing lesson plans, and just thinking about teaching instantly brings my sister to my mind. School is going to start soon back home and I bet she is so excited. I’ve volunteered a few times in her class back home and I was in awe of how wonderful my sister is at teaching! Seriously, I hope that someday my children will have her as their teacher. She is calm, assertive, sweet, and can handle anything that is thrown at her. Whenever I have a hard time in class, I am going to think about her and what she would do or say.
 
After this crazy, nerve-wracking morning, I was SO happy to be flooded with letters and packages from my family. So many goodies!! Thank you SO MUCH!! I love getting letters from home about family, friends, America, etc. It makes me feel like I’m in the loop and not as far away as I actually am. The food items look SO delicious, but I’m going to try to save these yummy treats for when I get to Kpalime. I’ve learned that apart from oatmeal, smoothies, and rice, I can’t cook. So, these will really come in handy after I leave my host family and have to cook for myself.

Sometimes I can also get pretty sad when I get these packages because I think of all of the things I am missing out on back at home, but having a little bit of home sent to me is reassuring and makes me feel very loved. I’m sure it’s going to seem like a long two years for everyone at home, but so far time here has been flying by for me. Days seem to drag out, but the weeks fly by. I can’t believe that swear-in ceremony in Lome is next Thursday! It all happened so fast! Well, this blog is WAY too long. After I get my internet key I will try to make my updates shorter, but more often.  

No comments:

Post a Comment