Sunday, February 3, 2013

Harmattan and Football

"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death...
it is much, much more important than that."
~Bill Shankly


Oh how the harmattan winds have been blowing! I’ve been pretty busy lately with work; so sorry that this update is a little delayed. Teaching is going very well. I’m now teaching every day of the week, which I’m really excited about. My favorite part of my day is when I walk into the classroom and get welcomed with “Good morning Miss Emily!” by my 17 awesome students.

Since the last time I blogged I think the most exciting thing that’s been happening is Togo’s amazing run in the 2013 African Cup of Nations. Les Eperviers (the Sparrow Hawks) are in the quarterfinals and playing Burkina Faso this evening. I’m sure I will hear plenty of screaming and shouts tonight as the match goes on. I can already hear people in the streets blowing vuvuzelas. People here get CRAZY after a Togo win. The parties in the street will last for hours. During the match, after every Togo goal the spectators instantly rush out of their homes, into the street to celebrate the goal with neighbors who are as excited as they are. This soccer, or "football" match is the Togo equivalent of the Super Bowl, which will be on tonight in the United States. I have to admit I’ve never really been that into watching soccer, but when in Rome…do as the Romans do. So while I’m in Togo, I will strive to become a fan. Allez les Eperviers!

This past week the harmattan winds have really settled in. They are bringing down the humidity to the point where I actually am reaching for my blanket at night, which NEVER happens. I usually sweat through the nights and wake up sweating before I even start my morning run. Also, the dust brought by the wind is pretty annoying, but thank goodness I have sunglasses. I don’t know how everyone here survives without them. It’s pretty weird to look up and not be able to see the mountains behind my house. The dust in the air has completely blocked the view. The picture below was taken in September, during the rainy season, where you can clearly see the mountains. The picture above was taken today at the same spot in my neighborhood, no mountains in sight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment