Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Batik

“When women thrive, all of society benefits,
and succeeding generations are given a better start in life.”
~Kofi Annan


I recently had a handbag made for me and I love it so much I wanted to post it. I live about two minutes away from a woman named Chantal, who makes beautiful batik fabric and also sews clothes. My site mate, another Peace Corps Volunteer in the Small Enterprise Development program, works with Chantal on improving her business. I’m over at her house often. Her family is very welcoming and I love hanging out with them. Watching the batik process is one of my favorite things to do there. Everything is hand made; the patterns are not printed on, but each is hand stamped with hot wax to create the colorful patterns. 

First they stamp or paint plain white cotton with hot wax. Then, they put the cloth into a bath of dye. The fabric that is not stamped will turn to the color of the die, while the stamped fabric will stay lighter or white. To make the fabrics that have two colors. First you die the fabric one color. After it is dry you then stamp the fabric with a pattern. The parts stamped will stay that color. So, during the next bath of dye, only the parts of fabric that aren't stamped with wax will change color. It is much more complicated than just printing patterns onto fabric, but I think this process is part of what makes the fabric special. No yard of batik will be exactly the same as another.  

The Peace Corps works with women, encouraging them to stay in school and learn about running their own businesses, empowering them to succeed, because studies show that when women are successful, it benefits the rest of the community. Chantal's business, Aklala Batik du Togo, is an example of that success.

Here is a link to a blog about her work:   http://aklala.blogspot.com/   
Also check out Facebook - Aklala Batik du Togo




No comments:

Post a Comment